First impressions contribute to company success and in the digital age that we live in, this first impression is often made by a company’s website. The landing page of a website is particularly important in making a positive first impression, as it is the “face” of the company that functions to capture the attention of users.
Despite the significant role that landing pages have, there is not one definitive formula for creating such a page. Depending on the company, products, and consumers, landing pages vary in content and design. However, there are common ground rules that are known to improve the success of a landing page and decrease bounce rate of a website.
Content and Design
Since the landing page is the first page a user will see when they arrive at a company website, it is important to make sure that the landing page is engaging in both content and design. Here are some tips for a perfect landing page.
Headers & Titles
The headers and title of the landing page should be the first information that catches the attention of the consumer. There are many ways to make these sections effective, such as:
- Choose a font and font size that is clear and concise
- Use colors and designs that attract the eye of the user
- Ensure the header is easy to understand and makes a positive impact
Posts & Descriptions
The written content of a landing page should be clear and simple, but also informative. Users will read such areas of the landing page and decide whether to further engage in the content or not. Thus, it is important to:
- Stay on topic and keep the information relevant
- Present interesting content to capture consumer attention
- Eliminate spelling and grammatical errors to enhance consumer trust
- Provide enough information to get the message across, without inundating the user
Call to Actions & Testimonials
On a landing page, companies should have a prominent and enticing call to action that provides users with an opportunity to engage. Whether this is selling a product, requesting a quote, etc. this call-to-action should be accompanied by testimonials or any other form of support that indicates to users that the product/purpose is genuine and worthy. Some ways to achieve this are:
- Create a strong call-to-action that is easily visible and accessible
- Format the buttons with designs that make it tempting to engage with or click
- Use phrases such as “download now” or “ask for a free quote” to entice consumers
- Provide testimonials, reviews, security certification, etc. that demonstrates reliability
Layout & Compatibility
One of the most important factors of a landing page is the layout and compatibility. While all of the features mentioned above may be beneficial, these features must be presented in an appropriate and attractive manner to be effective. Some tips include:
- Distribute the information and features in a clean and easy to follow manner
- Place important information at the top of the page, which does not require scrolling
- Ensure that the design is displaying properly and is compatible on various devices
Use certain colors to influence the consumer, based on these general themes:
Links, Advertising, & Media
Most companies use a mix of content to encourage and promote their message, along with any supporters that help them along the way. Whether one is talking about links, advertising, or digital media, there are some “rules of thumb” to follow:
- Limit the amount of links and advertising to avoid distracting or bombarding consumers
- Offer minimal but effective digital media such as images and videos to spark interest
- Ensure that links, advertising, and media are all relevant to the company and consumers
Creating a perfect landing page is one thing, but maintaining and continuously improving such is another. While a company may feel that the landing page of their website is sufficient and delivering adequate results, there is always room for improvement. Companies should:
- Test and try different styles, formats, and layouts of the landing page
- Use existing consumer data to gear content, advertising, media, etc. to potential users
- Monitor what features work and do not work by keeping an eye on bounce rates
- Consult consumer analytics to see what landing page components are most engaging
Landing pages are an incredibly important component to a website. In order for a company to be successful, their website must be effective. This starts with the landing page.
Despite the fact that a landing page will be unique to the company it represents, the above points serve as a general guideline for success. By implementing these features onto the landing page, companies will be more effective at engaging with consumers and presenting their content successfully.
Thanks for reading!
- Selecting a Quality WordPress Theme
- 7 Easy SEO Tips that’ll Help you Rank in Google
- Managed WordPress Hosting vs. Hosting